An informational forum for coaches, parents, and athletes

Sunday, August 28, 2011

World Track and Field Championships in Daegu Korea





Well its been awhile since I've done any work on my blogsite.  It's been a very busy summer training mostly fall sport athletes and collegiate athletes. Now that the summer is over everyone is heading back to school and begining September 5th I go back on a regular schedule.  Once I go back to my regular schedule I will be consistenly using my blogsite for all sorts of FLSP information.


 Today's topic is the World Track and Field Championships in Daegu Korea.  Day 2 is complete and there has been some surprises in the events.  The big surprise is Usain Bolt's false start in the 100m final.  21 year old Yohan Blake from Jamaica became the youngest sprinter ever to win the 100 meters at Worlds.  Blake is quickly becoming one of my favorite sprinters.  He has a great start and he closes well. I like the way he sprints.  I also notice that all the Jamaican sprinters run with great form.  I hear that the Jamaican coaches puts a big stress on form running.  The Kenyans and Ethiopians continue to dominate the distance seen and in the womens 1500m  three Americans, Morgan Ucny, Shannon Rowbury, and Jen Simpson advance to the semi-finals.  I think all three have a great chance to advance to the finals. 

In the womens 400m three Americans advance to the final.  Sanya Richards-Moss, Allyson Felix, and Francena McCrory.  Felix looked great in the semi-final and I pick her to win it.  Sanya Richards-Moss did not win her heat so she draws lane 1 in the final tomorrow.  Allyson Felix will run in lane 3 and Francena McCrory will run in lane 5.  Should be an exciting race with a very strong field.  Be on the lookout for Amantle Montso who has been running some great 400m races. 

In the mens 400m American LaShwan Merritt easily advances to the semi-final and ran a 44.35. That is fast for a 1st round race.  Look out for 18 year old Greneda's Kurani James.  He also advanced and will tough to beat.  He has run 44.6 three weeks ago. 

As you can see there was lots of action in only two days.  I'm looking forward to watching the races every nioght this week.  Universal Sports is televising the World Championships every night this week.  The last day for the Worlds is September 4th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment